Saturday, September 20, 2014

First Generation Grad




Yesterday was a big day for me. Not only did I turn 26, but it marked the official last day of my two and a half year journey to finish my Bachelor's degree. It was a long road that I thought I'd never see the end of, but just like most things in life, it flew by. I'm proud to say I am the first person in my family to attend and finish a degree, even if it took me a LONG time and even if it wasn't at a traditional four year university. That's the beauty of innovation in education!

I started my college education in high school by participating in Running Start. I graduated high school just a couple of credits short of my associates degree. I took some time off after I graduated high school and decided to work full time and do part time school to finish up. I ended up doing so many classes that I actually graduated with two associates degrees! Yeah I know you guys who have two masters degrees think that's soooo great but do you have to AAs?! :)

During the same time that I finished my AA my Grandma was very ill and on hospice. She was so excited that I finished and really wanted to see me walk with the other graduates from Pierce College. As silly as I thought it was to walk in a community college graduation, the excitement and pride my Grandma showed that day will be something I remember for ever.

Grandma made my promise that I'd keep going and I'd finish my degree, she told me I should start right away because its hard to go back when you stop. Well I didn't listen and decided to focus on work. Two years later I decided it was time, and signed up for Capella University's business program.


If you don't think you have time for to go back to school or start learning something new, you're making excuses. Here's a few things I did while going to school and still finished with a 4.0:
  • Started a new relationship
  • Moved twice
  • Got engaged
  • Planned a wedding
  • Enjoyed all of those fun wedding activities that come along with getting married
  • Went on two vacations
  • Got married
  • Moved twice
  • Changed careers and traveled for work
You can do ANYTHING you put your mind to and I think I've finally proved that to myself.

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will." - Karim Seddiki 

I have to send big thanks to all of those that encouraged and supported me along the way. This was not something I could've done on my own and it means the world to know people have your back! To my husband, family, friends and coworkers- thank you for your constant support, I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment